This particular section of SHIFT made a lot of people gasp out loud, get angry and fall in love with yet another Keeley boy. Yeah, that's right. It's time to talk about Junior prom.
**BREAKING NEWS** HOLY SHITE! The kilt has come off! I repeat, the kilt has come off. Check out THIS POST for more details on the Senior prom de-kilting scene!
We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled read-along post. Everyone, say "OMG, HI!" to Marissa!
Ohayou gozaimasu, fellow readers! I’m Marissa, a reading-obsessed military wife and owner of a bionic elbow. My current place of residence is Misawa-shi, Japan but I was born and raised in Philadelphia (I fangirled a little when I discovered Aura’s family is from there). I used to blog quite frequently at “And many to read before I sleep…” but I fell out of habit of posting and my poor blog has gone by the way side (shame on me). Even though I am no longer an active blogger, I enjoy chatting with my fellow book club members on Facebook and Twitter, and love to interact with the many members of Team Kilt! I’d love to hear from you and you can find me on Twitter, Facebook, and Goodreads.
My adventure into the world of the Shade Series was quite accidental but the best thing that could have happened to me in 2011. I wound up supporting Zachary during the grueling and intense YA Crush Tourney and I’ve been in love with the series, and my fellow team mates ever since. When I signed up for the read-along and was asked to do a guest post, I couldn’t say no. So here I am multitasking: typing to you while wearing my Keeley Brothers tee-shirt (I SPIDER SWEAR that I am!),reading these chapters, all while sipping on some tea. Won’t you join me? Make sure you read Shift chapters 13-20 because I can’t promise I won’t stay non-spoilery. There is A LOT of emotional and physical action in just these seven chapters.
I’ll wait for you while you read…
Can you still breathe? Take a deep breath, in. Deep breath, out. Repeat again until you feel normal. Maybe listen to some Mozart to calm your nerves like Aura does at the end of chapter 20 (and I’m doing right now). Honestly, I’m feeling a little overwhelmed at having to talk about these chapters. Here’s to being brave like Aura - let’s jump right in!
- What do you think about Eowyn finally revealing that she was also at Newgrange with Aura’s mom and Zachary’s dad? Have you started to form your own theories about Newgrange and the Shift?
- How do you feel about Dylan being Aura’s Prom date? Did he make the grade? Was it a good idea?
- How are you feeling about Zachary and Aura after all of the Prom night drama? Did you want to throw your book? Want to yell at Zach or maybe bitch out Becca?
- How did you feel about Aura’s visit to Dylan?
- Do you think Logan is being selfish about sticking around? Was Dylan onto something when he and Logan fought at the prom? What do you think about Logan revealing to Aura he has thought about staying around forever?
I remember when I first read this section of Shift and reading it again reminded me why I love this series so much. Jeri is a master at putting her readers through the same turbulent emotions that the characters are experiencing. If I were Aura, I’m not sure how I would have handled these events in her life. She is definitely a strong character. I think I would have just hid away in my room and never came back out.
To wrap up my post today, I’d like to share some of my random thoughts about the section:
- Reading Aura’s little chat with Zachary’s mom, Fiona, about the upcoming prom and her subtle implication about the important of patience made me smile. I laughed at Fiona’s observation that even Zachary can share the part of the idiocy.
- THE KILT! How can I post today and NOT mention this glorious moment?After all, it is the staple of TEAM KILT! Zachary may have not been at prom with Aura but you KNOW he was preening for her.
- And the Moore family motto: “Durum patientia frango,” “By patience, I overcome my difficulties,” Jeri really knows how to hammer home a point, no? ;)
- Zach & Aura’s short but charged slow-dance made me melt all over again.
- How much did I want to become a card-carrying member of Team Dylan after this section? How suave was he with how he tied his tie around Aura’s wrist? Swoon! And when he answered the phone and told Zach off after “the incident.” Did you fist-pump and scream YES? Because I did.